Christmas gift inspiration for your water loving buddies!
Check out our round up of some pretty cool gifts that are guaranteed to generate smiles on Christmas morning.
Christmas present shopping is normally made easy when you’re buying for a water loving friend or relative but in case you’re stuck for idea’s here’s our round up of some pretty cool gifts that are guaranteed to generate smiles on Christmas morning!
1. Surface Marker Buoy (SMB) – My personal thought is every diver should own their own SMB; used to signal the boat at the end of a dive, for surface supervision during drift dives, and in emergency situations amongst other helpful uses, an SMB nowadays is considered an essential piece of diving equipment. Similar to masks, wetsuits, BCDs and many other types of equipment, SMBs come in a variety of styles and picking the right one for you should be based on the size of the balloon you’re trying to fill as well as the inflation method so it’s as easy to deploy as possible, whilst also being large enough to be visible on the surface when waves are present.
2. Apeks Tech shorts – despite the name these shorts can be worn by anyone and are a firm favourite of our instructor Ash. Long lasting and really comfortable (according to Ash) the shorts have two expandable pockets on each side which are large enough to take a spare mask or SMB with you and can be worn by themselves in the warmer water or over wetsuits/drysuits in colder water. Mike’s Dive Store seems to have the best price so far, costing £65 instead of the original £80. Not only this but 1% from all the sales go to helping UK marine conservation through the Sea-Changers charity!
3. Fourth element Ocean Positive swim wear – You can never have too many bikini, swim shorts or rash vests! Fourth element released a range of swimwear all made from recycled nylon from ‘ghost’ fishing nets recovered after being snagged on reef and wrecks, brilliant idea! So not only will you look really cool underwater, you’ll also be doing your bit to help the environment we all enjoy exploring so much, win/win!
4. Support a conservation charity by adopting a dolphin or turtle, making a donation or buying a really good eco-gift with proceeds going to the charity, the perfect gift for anyone not just divers and snorkelers. I’m loving these organic cotton blue whale shopping bags from the Whale and Dolphin Conservation charity, which come in a range of colours and can hold up to 20kg in weight, perfect for bringing with you back to Sharm where plastic bags are way overused!!
Another option is the Bite-Back calendar or other merchandise from this awesome charity, seriously cool photographs and designs and a firm favourite on my families Christmas shopping list!
5. A final idea for anyone who appreciates beautiful photography and has an interest in the Oceans and seas is award winning British Underwater Photographer Alex Mustards and Callum Roberts latest release, Secrets of the Seas. This hardcover coffee table book, currently on offer on Amazon, is sure to make you switch off from the Christmas chaos and lose yourself in beautiful imagery accompanied by interesting and thought provoking real issues of change in the oceans.
Now, if all else fails and nothing above meet’s your needs, feel free to pop over and see us where you can buy your own Eagle Divers Hoodie, Polo-shirt or some beautiful underwater photographs on canvas from RenataJ